Subject: Re: Linux emul problems
To: Arto Huusko <arto.huusko@pp2.inet.fi>
From: Nicolas Joly <njoly@pasteur.fr>
List: port-amd64
Date: 10/21/2007 13:11:43
On Sun, Oct 21, 2007 at 11:35:15AM +0300, Arto Huusko wrote:
> Nicolas Joly wrote:

> >> And so do many other things:
> >
> >This one is a known problem on machines with Intel CPUs.
>
> Is there any hope of a fix for this?

This is a complex change, as it needs modification outside compat
linux code. An attempt was made to fix it, but it was reported that it
broke compat_linux32 ...

> If there's no fix in the works, then does this affect 32 bit Linux
> binaries, or is 32 bit linux emul breakage due to some different causes?

AFAIK, compat linux32 is not affected by this problem. And your
problems seems unrelated.

> If 32 bit binaries work, and the emul problems there are fixable, that
> would be enough for me.
>
> The 32 bit emul problems I've encountered so far are
>  - chown, chgrop (there could be more) not working

I'll try to have a look at this one soon; it should not be that hard
to add them.

>  - I've a hard time with citrix client (v10)
>    * it can't find motif key bindings, even though I have
>      run xmbind, have ~/.motifbindings, etc.
>    * it usually crashes on startup with glibc complaining
>      about its memory pool getting corrupted

I can have a look too, once i have some free time.

--
Nicolas Joly

Biological Software and Databanks.
Institut Pasteur, Paris.