Subject: Linux emul problems
To: None <port-amd64@netbsd.org>
From: Arto Huusko <arto.huusko@pp2.inet.fi>
List: port-amd64
Date: 10/19/2007 13:31:58
Hello,

a couple of problems with linux emulation, both 32bit and 64bit, with kernel
compiled from sources from this morning.

First is with linux 32 bit emulation, although maybe it is not
even supposed to be supported (I couldn't find an accurate statement
about whether it actually is or not supported):

# /emul/linux32/bin/chown root /emul/linux32/usr/lib/ICAClient/
/emul/linux32/bin/chown: changing ownership of `/emul/linux32/usr/lib/ICAClient/': Function not implemented

and

# /emul/linux32/bin/chgrp operator /emul/linux32/usr/lib/ICAClient/
/emul/linux32/bin/chgrp: changing group of `/emul/linux32/usr/lib/ICAClient/': Function not implemented

64 bit linux chown and chgrp work just fine.

The second problem so far is with java. 64-bit 1.5.0_12 and 1.6.0_02 core dump
immediately, even when trying to run just "java -version".
32 bit java does not start, because it complains that it cant't reserve
enough space for object heap. This is usually because of too small data
size limit, but I have it at 1G (and stack limit 4M).
proc is mounted with -o linux, so that should not be a problem.

If it makes any difference, java 6 also core dumps on i386 when anything
a bit more complicated is run, but "java -version" runs just fine there.