Subject: Re: XFree86 Crash in current/amd64
To: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.org.uk>
From: Andrew Doran <ad@netbsd.org>
List: port-amd64
Date: 10/11/2007 20:21:20
On Thu, Oct 11, 2007 at 01:29:01PM +0100, Matthias Scheler wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 10, 2007 at 01:26:22PM +0100, Andrew Doran wrote:
> > >    It was fine with a new kernel, but the new userland seems to
> > > have broken it. Fallout from the new malloc, perhaps?
> >
> > Thanks for all the info. I think it's likely this is due to the allocator
> > changing. I'll see if I can reproduce it.
>
> XFree86 uses a nasty hack on NetBSD-amd64. Because the XFree86 module
> can't deal with addresses larger than 4GB it manually mmaps memory
> starting at 1GB(*) and loads modules in that area.

Thanks for the tip, I went ahead and implemented something similar. However,
only now I notice that a similar change was made 3 years ago and appears to
have been lost from our repository!

I have compiled a new Xserver with the change for those who don't fancy
doing it manually. If you do compile it, you need up to date src/x11 and
xsrc.

	http://www.netbsd.org/~ad/XFree86.bz2
	MD5 (XFree86.bz2) = c3a338850e8275ac4379b66f792b365b

Thanks,
Andrew