Subject: Re: ThinkPad T61p
To: Arto Huusko <arto.huusko@pp2.inet.fi>
From: Jared D. McNeill <jmcneill@invisible.ca>
List: port-amd64
Date: 09/25/2007 17:33:10
On Tue, 25 Sep 2007, Arto Huusko wrote:
>  * and then print <ST506> which definitely is the wrong drive
>    and go on to print wrong geometry, and then refuse to boot
>
>  With working kernels, there never is a pause after the
>  initial wd0 at ... message.

I've seen this on the T61 also, I can't remember what I did to make it go
away (although I am only running a UP kernel right now).

> However, the big problem is that I can't get X to work
> (modular-xorg-server-1.3 from pkgsrc).
>
> The machine has NV Quadro FX 570M. I was able to compile
> xf86-video-nv-2.1.5 (simply changed version number from 2.1.3
> to 2.1.5 in pkgsrc), which at least recognizes it, but
> trying to start X the display first changes to an empty text
> screen with the cursor in the upper left corner as usual,
> and then after a few seconds the machine simply reboots.
> This happens both with and without MULTIPROCESSOR.
>
> I also tried using vesa and vga drivers, but the result is the same.

You are lacking support for AGP, which is most likely the issue -- can you
try a kernel from the jmcneill-pm branch? I've been meaning to pull this
up to HEAD, but haven't got around to it yet...

Cheers,
Jared