Subject: Re: wd2500 drive not properly detected by ahci driver
To: port-amd64@NetBSD.org, Stephen Degler <sdegler@degler.net>
From: Bernd Ernesti <netbsd@lists.veego.de>
List: port-amd64
Date: 08/26/2007 09:03:10
On Sat, Aug 25, 2007 at 04:01:04PM -0400, Stephen Degler wrote:
> Manuel Bouyer wrote:
>
> So I've finally gotten back to this and done some more research:
>
> Simply retrying the identify command seems to work fine, although the
> first command always seems to fail.
> The attached patch causes the command to succeed, although I'm certainly
> not suggesting that it is the correct fix.
> The first command always fails on the wd2500 drive.

Can you try to set the jumper on the drive for the 1.5Gb/s mode?
Asuming that this a 3Gb/s drive.

I have a motherboard where the onboard controller fails to find the drive,
if I use the default jumper position on a WD drive (either a 400 or a 500GB
model). Sometimes it works and sometimes it fails, which is a problem when
you have a raid set and one drives goes missing on the next boot.

It looks like the drive has some problem with the 3Gb/s mode if the controller
only supports 1.5Gb/s.

Bernd