Subject: Re: slow writes on ixpide0?
To: Jonathan Kay <jpk@panix.com>
From: Quentin Garnier <cube@cubidou.net>
List: port-amd64
Date: 08/21/2007 19:57:42
--qyZ1VOjRGk8hBWhg

On Tue, Aug 21, 2007 at 01:51:55PM -0400, Jonathan Kay wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Aug, 2007 at 07:44:43PM +0200, it was scribed by cube@cubidou.=
net that:
> > On Tue, Aug 21, 2007 at 01:37:25PM -0400, Jonathan Kay wrote:
> > > Hello again,
> > >   I'm seeing some rampant slowness with a secondary drive on an ATI/A=
MD
> > > (IXP IDE) based motherboard.  There are two sata drives attached to i=
t,
> > > and the primary one reads & writes fast, but the secondary one refuses
> > > to write any faster than 7MB/s.  It does however, read really fast.
> > > (Again, this is a dedicated hosting machine, so some of my testing
> > > abilities are limited..)
[...]
> > What does atactl wd1 identify have to say about the driver?
>=20
> Sorry, been a while since I've had any problems & I've forgotten these
> things!
> hmmm, that write cache disabled would probably be a problem!

Yep, that's definitely the reason why you experience slow writes.  That
said, I don't know how to enable it.  Apparently atactl(8) doesn't offer
a command.  Odd, but Manuel Bouyer will probably have an answer for that
in a short while.

--=20
"You could have made it, spitting out benchmarks
Owe it to yourself not to fail"
Amplifico, Spitting Out Benchmarks, Hometakes Vol. 2, 2005.

--qyZ1VOjRGk8hBWhg

--qyZ1VOjRGk8hBWhg--