Subject: Re: merging x86 pmaps (Re: pmap.c hacking...)
To: YAMAMOTO Takashi <yamt@mwd.biglobe.ne.jp>
From: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@netbsd.org>
List: port-amd64
Date: 03/29/2007 14:56:44
YAMAMOTO Takashi wrote:
> - mycroft said he were rewriting these pmaps.
>   i don't know what's the status of it.
>   i've pinged him two or three times, but no success.

I think we can safely assume that this isn't happening anymore, and, in
any case, too much time has passed since then.
> - junyoung argued about the name of macros.  (L1, L2, ..)

Ok, that's not a major point.
> - drochner said merging these pmaps would make the maintenance
>   rather difficult.

I disagree, and so do several other people.. I respect his opinion, but
I think he's outvoted on that one :-)
>> I still think that a shared
>> pmap should be committed.
>>

> so do i.
>
> but i don't have enough motivation to work on a port which i don't
> own any hardware (amd64), especially when it makes some people unhappy.

I'm sure people are willing to test.. if you would be willing to bring
your version up to date, and make sure that it compiles. Would you be
willing to do that?

Thanks for all your work,

- Frank