Subject: Re: various changes on INSTALL and iso generation
To: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@netbsd.org>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: port-amd64
Date: 02/25/2007 23:10:19
On Sun, Feb 25, 2007 at 09:42:24PM +0000, David Laight wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 25, 2007 at 10:13:19PM +0100, Frank van der Linden wrote:
> > Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> > >Hi,
> > >sorry for the cross-post. Please reply as appropriate to port-amd64/i386
> > >for the changes to the INSTALL kernels, or tech-install for anything MI
> > >related to iso image generation.
> > >
> > >On amd64/i386 we've had issue with kernel size first, and need for ACPI
> > >enabled kernels for modern hardware where the legacy bios isn't suitable.
> > >
> > [...]
> >
> > I agree with these changes. Just one remark: if you enable ACPI, also
> > enable ACPI_SCANPCI. The latter shouldn't really be an option anymore, I
> > guess.
>
> I had though about doing something similar, but failed to get any round tuits!
> However I don't like the kernel being INSTAL_LARGE, it should really
> be INSTALL_ACPI (or maybe just INSTALL).
>
> Also since there may well be systems that will only CD boot using el-torito,
> it is probably worth adding an extra 'ramdisk' so that it is possible to
> build a sub-2.8MB image still.  Again this has a naming issue, since the
> 'normal' install image ought to have the unsized name.

The 2.88MB image is still built for i386. There's should not be size issues
for some time, as new devices shouldn't need to be added to this kernel,
some could even be moved to the new one.
I don't expect any amd64 machines to have issues with the new boot CD,
they should be recent enough ...

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>