Subject: Re: New system Tyan S3892 / Thunder K8HM
To: None <>
From: Brad Spencer <>
List: port-amd64
Date: 01/03/2007 16:24:23
   On Tue, Jan 02, 2007 at 10:29:56AM -0500, Brad Spencer wrote:
   > Hello...
   > I just built a new system based on the Tyan S3892 / Thunder K8HM
   > motherboard.  It is running NetBSD 4.0_BETA2/amd64, and although it hasn't
   > been pushed very hard, it appears to be stable, with nearly every device
   > supported.
   > There are a few odd things of note:
   > 1) The SATA controller does SATA-II and the drives I have are
   > SATA-IIable.  However, the device driver [svwsata] only reports 1.5Gb
   > speed.  The drives have are jumpered for 3.0Gb.

   SATA-II doesn't imply 3.0Gb/s, SATA-II also defines protocol extentions such
   as NCQ. It's possible that your controller is NCQ-capable but the PHY can
   only do 1.5Gb/s

Thanks, I was unaware that SATA-II didn't imply a faster transfer rate.
It looks like there were a couple of levels of confusion.  The paper
manual states that the controller will do 3.0Gbs, but the web site says
1.5Gbs, which to actually be correct.

Thanks for the information.

Brad Spencer - - KC8VKS  - & - [IPv6 only]
[finger for PGP public key]