Subject: Re: Asus A8V-VM
To: Andrew Ball <aball@students.prairiestate.edu>
From: Jonathan A. Kollasch <jakllsch@kollasch.net>
List: port-amd64
Date: 01/01/2007 22:59:44
--sdtB3X0nJg68CQEu

On Thu, Dec 28, 2006 at 01:33:38AM -0000, Andrew Ball wrote:
>=20
> Hello Joerg,
>=20
> Does the following excerpt from your dmesg mean that each PCI slot has
> its own bridge (and its own bandwidth) or am I being overly
> optimistic?  :-)

Well, those aren't normal PCI slots, they are PCIe.  I theorize
that they had to do this to make the point to point connection model
be compatible with the existing interface that PCI presents
to the OS.  And, yes, PCIe does have dedicated bandwidth.
They really are "ports", not "slots".

	Jonathan Kollasch

--sdtB3X0nJg68CQEu

--sdtB3X0nJg68CQEu--