Subject: Re: Asus A8V-VM
To: Andrew Ball <aball@students.prairiestate.edu>
From: David Brownlee <abs@NetBSD.org>
List: port-amd64
Date: 12/28/2006 09:12:55
On Wed, 27 Dec 2006, Andrew Ball wrote:

> Hello Joerg,
>
>  JN> I have an ASUS A8V board...
>
> Two friends, whose opinions I value, have those and swear by
> them.  The only thing that puts me off slightly is lack of a
> PCIe slot.  Neither of those friends runs NetBSD at present,
> so your dmesg output is very welcome!

 	I have a rack of Asus A8V & A8V-Deluxe based machines at
 	work and two -Deluxe machines at home.
 	One of the -Deluxes (out of a dozen or so), has	a drive
 	that occasionally times out on the second SATA controller,
 	which locks the machine hard. The basic A8V board doesn't
 	have the second SATA with its pair ports, so thats not
 	going to be an issue.

 	As an aside, in general if you have a non NetBSD friend with
 	a potentially interesting motherboard I would recommend downloading
 	the latest NetBSD-live CD image and asking them to let you
 	test boot it to see how much of their machine is supported.