Subject: disklabel: Invalid signature in mbr record 0
To: None <port-amd64@netbsd.org>
From: Heron Gallegos <gallegos@csxxi.net.mx>
List: port-amd64
Date: 12/17/2006 20:27:32
Hello

I got this strange response when I disklabel my second hard disk:
disklabel: Invalid signature in mbr record 0
I dont know if I am doing some in an erroneous way.

The situation is the following:
* Using NetBSD-3.1 (complete disk for NetBSD)
* Both disks are identical... brand ans model
* It occurs when second disk is new and clean. If second disk have
   a previous NetBSD installed, the message dont occurs.
* My tests are with amd64 and i386 only. Both give the message.
* I tested scsi and ide disks. Both give the message.

I am using the second example of manual (man disklabel(8))
(using -w and -r flags)
and I dont remenber such message in netbsd2 or older.

This is my procedure:
1) Install NetBSD from cdrom in sd0 and reboot
2) disklabel -t sd0 >> /etc/disktab
3) disklabel -w -r sd1 mydisk
and the message occurs

If I repeat the disklabel command, the message occurs again.
Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance

Heron Gallegos
Saltillo Coahuila Mexico