Subject: Re: [q] eclipse/amd64
To: None <port-amd64@netbsd.org>
From: Noud deBrouwer <noud4@home.nl>
List: port-amd64
Date: 09/27/2006 17:53:28
--------------080306010801040506050207

> "that socket-name" ?
>
> That CPU is a "Socket AM2" (Which it says in the description). The
> mobo is

i must have, totally, overread. were convinced the cpu was a 939 too.

thanks the correction (again) and explenation.

> [snip uncalled for rant. At least, I think it was a rant; I coulnd't
> quite

not intended.
(http://www.thefreedictionary.com/rant)
" To utter or express with violence or extravagance" .. just the later
one..not the violence.

> understand all of it]
>
> Listen, pal, I was only trying to protect you from the possible
> disappointment

yup. taken that way..from the start. and thanks for it/protection.

> of buying new hardware, only to discover that eclipse isn't available for
> anything except i386.
> There's no reason to get snappy with me. My crystal ball is a bit
> shady lately, so if you come and ask "Will this-and-this-and-this
> hardware enable
> me to run java/eclipse", how am I supposed to know that you're actually

i did not ask "to run java/eclipse"
i did ask "to be quickly at "..maybe i should have typed "to be quickly,
as quick as possible, at"
then again.. you could not have known i know the java non-status a
little bit at amd64
(and that i know it's needed for Eclipse).

> going to try to port Java to netbsd/AMD64? All I knew was that you
> were trying

yup (but plz. if some allready has it building)

> to run eclipse. If you think that you can magick eclipse into working,
> that's

exactly

> just great (But I think you're underestimating the complexity, but oh
> well)

getting eclipse going will be easy..just a swt patch.. the java part is
scarry to me

> but don't yell and scream at everyone who can't read your mind, and
> who're
> only trying to help you, OK?

OK (i was not aware i was screaming)

btw. now have gotten this sugestion as a valid combination
(but not from a fellow NBSD-er so chipset validity not taken into account):

amd 3500 met koeler venice core  85 euro
http://tweakers.net/pricewatch/117197/AMD-Athlon-64-3500+-Venice-(S939-2.2GHz-512KB-Boxed)-prijzen.html

Moederbord asus 939 met Qfan technologic   45 euro
http://tweakers.net/pricewatch/126649/Asus-A8N-VM-GeForce-6100-(mATX-PCI-e-Sound-LAN-SATA-II-RAID-VGA)-prijzen.html

geheugen 400/3200  110 euro
http://tweakers.net/pricewatch/cat/626/?keyword=&catID=626&scoreMin=&scoreMax=5&priceMin=0&priceMax=&land=&orderField=&orderSort=&page=5

--Noud