Subject: Re: [q] eclipse/amd64
To: None <port-amd64@netbsd.org>
From: Martijn van Buul <pino@dohd.org>
List: port-amd64
Date: 09/26/2006 11:41:03
It occurred to me that Noud deBrouwer wrote in gmane.os.netbsd.ports.x86-64:

>>>This CPU ...
>>>
>>>.. doesn't even *fit* on this board. Which is an outdated board, by the way.
>>>

> the one thing i didn't even check and was/am scarred about..
> .. yes ?! doesn't it fit .. arggg ..pitty.. both are that socket-name
> isn't it.

"that socket-name" ?

That CPU is a "Socket AM2" (Which it says in the description). The mobo is
a "Socket 939" one (Which it says in the description). They're not the same;
not even remotely. "if it has a different name, don't assume it fits".

> both are within(sp) speed isn't it.. not even checked by me

Um, no. That "speed" is only a performance rating, and that's not the only
consideration to make whether a CPU will work.

> but E and yes my main  fear was is it's not a workable situation
>
> what's the thing cpu not fitting mboard (?)   (Q to learn/know)

It's a different hardware interface? Socket 939 uses DDR, AM2 uses
DDR2. Socket AM2 has a higher bus frequency. Socket AM2 is physically
different. See wikipedia.

There are various different sockets for AMD64 processors. They're not
compatible.

> does it not  .. somebit blasius/blunt (en blond) en .. argg

My trusty old Commodore 64 would go "?SYNTAX ERROR" here.

[snip uncalled for rant. At least, I think it was a rant; I coulnd't quite
understand all of it]

Listen, pal, I was only trying to protect you from the possible disappointment
of buying new hardware, only to discover that eclipse isn't available for
anything except i386.

There's no reason to get snappy with me. My crystal ball is a bit shady
lately, so if you come and ask "Will this-and-this-and-this hardware enable
me to run java/eclipse", how am I supposed to know that you're actually
going to try to port Java to netbsd/AMD64? All I knew was that you were trying
to run eclipse. If you think that you can magick eclipse into working, that's
just great (But I think you're underestimating the complexity, but oh well)
but don't yell and scream at everyone who can't read your mind, and who're
only trying to help you, OK?

--
    Martijn van Buul - pino@dohd.org - http://www.stack.nl/~martijnb/
	 Geek code: G--  - Visit OuterSpace: mud.stack.nl 3333