Subject: Re: very weird booting issues with new machines - 4-core Opteron
To: None <port-amd64@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Kantarjiev <cak+gmane@dimebank.com>
List: port-amd64
Date: 08/29/2006 14:15:18
I'm watching systat vmstat on the slow machine.

While compiling, the CPU is typically at or very close to 100% sys. When the
machine is idle, the machine is idle - it's not as if there is something running
in the background sucking up all the cycles.

I notice that there are no FPU or TLB stats in the column under Interrupts.

That's ... odd. Why would they have gone away? The man page says that
only devices that have interrupted at least once since boot are shown.
Is it possible that there have been no FPU/TLB interrupts, ever?

This smells ... very sick. I could maybe believe that the FPU hasn't been used.
But the TLB? Impossible.

This must be a clue ... mustn't it?

(Everything else is working well, just in slow motion. Feels a lot like the
VAX-11/780 I used in 1981.)