Subject: Re: Please test POWERNOW_K[78]
To: Chris Baird <cjb@brushtail.apana.org.au>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: port-amd64
Date: 08/29/2006 18:24:18
On Tue, Aug 29, 2006 at 07:30:32PM +1000, Chris Baird wrote:
>  >> -current, if you have - any AMD Athlon Mobile or Athlon 64 cpu,
>  >> please try it out and - report success/failure, etc.
>
>  > I know this to be a bit late, but..
>  > I have to report failure.. I've got an HP Pavilion ze4500
>  > Laptop with an AMD Atholon XP2500+ processor [...]
>  > Any ideas what might need to be tweaked? I'm more than happy
>  > to build and test kernels on the system.
>
> I was testing on an Athlon64 3200+ (ASrock 939Dual-SATA2 motherboard,
> mumblenumber BIOS revision), and was thinking the same thing when a
> dhrystone benchmark kept returning 8M dry/sec regardless of the
> throttling factor. A while later I was looking at top, and I notice...
> the system clock is running at half speed. "aahhhhhhhh..."

I've seen some reference to a downloadable update that fixes what I
believe was time errors caused by the TSC of some AMD cpus changing
when the clock speed changed.

My memory is hazy (in many respects) but it seemed to refer to problems
with some games that accessed the TSC? directly rather than through OS
calls.

Nothing said what the download was though!

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk