Subject: Re: opteron 246 system
To: None <port-amd64@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Kantarjiev <cak+gmane@dimebank.com>
List: port-amd64
Date: 08/19/2006 16:13:08
Kurt Schreiner wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 19, 2006 at 11:28:07AM +0200, Frank van der Linden wrote:

> Hm, memory mappings: my ultra40 is ok, when I set "pci mem hole" to
> "software". Changing this to "hardware" gives a "running system with
> _verry_ slow disk access". I don't remember the name of the third
> possibility to set "pci mem hole", but using that leads to a system
> crashing during boot... Just another data point...
> Chris, does your bios allow playing w/ "pci mem hole"?

The manual for the Supermicro H8DCE is here:

http://www.supermicro.com/manuals/motherboard/nForce2200/MNL-H8DCE.pdf

On page 66, there are some settings about "software memory hole" and "hardware
memory hole"...

Software Memory Hole
When "Enabled", allows software memory remapping around the memory
hole. Options are Enabled and Disabled.

Hardware Memory Hole
When "Enabled", allows software memory remapping around the memory
hole. Options are Enabled and Disabled. Note: this is only supported by
Rev E0 processors and above.

It sounds as if Software should be enabled and Hardware disabled. I can't check
right now because the systems are apart to diagnose a disk controller problem.

There are a number of other settings, not just in the Northbridge, that are
complete voodoo, too! Advice would be welcome, maybe even a writeup somewhere
about what NetBSD expects...

chris