Subject: Re: no available disks?
To: None <port-amd64@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Kantarjiev <cak+gmane@dimebank.com>
List: port-amd64
Date: 08/11/2006 14:49:45
> And that seems to have worked.

Well, for an interesting value of "worked". The machine boots and runs and
executes programs. I copied a source tree and set about compiling a kernel.

It's dog slow. The kernel didn't finish building in four hours (!) and while the
compiler is running, top tells me that the machine is at 100% system. When the
machine is idle, the machine is idle - it's not that there is something running
in the background sucking up cycles, but more that system calls are VERY expensive.

Greg says that this kernel doesn't have DEBUG or DIAGNOSTIC, and he booted a
copy of it on his machine and it ran as quickly as expected.

Thoughts?

chris