Subject: Re: no available disks?
To: None <>
From: Chris Kantarjiev <>
List: port-amd64
Date: 08/08/2006 10:32:54
Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Aug 2006, Chris Kantarjiev wrote:
>> I've forgotten where the install system puts the boot messages - could
>> someone remind me?
> ^C, dmesg | more

Interesting that it doesn't work when invoking /bin/sh from the menu :-(

It finds several viaide devices (NVIDIA nForce4 IDE Controller rev 0xf2). But it
never finds any disks - not even the DVD ROM that is running! There are some
complaints about

isa_intr_establish: no MP mapping found

pci_intr_map: bus 0 dev 7 func 0 pin 1; line 9
pci_intr_map: no MP mapping found
failed to allocate interrupt slot for PIC pic0 pin 9
viaide1: couldn't establish native-PCI interrupt at irq 9

and so on.

I wonder if there's some BIOS setting that I need to change?

I hate this part.

>> One thing I notice is that the hard disk is attached to the third IDE
>> controller  - it's a SATA drive. Will the boot system not deal with
>> this? Is there an easy way around this? I guess, in the worst case, I
>> could plug in a PATA drive along side the DVD-ROM...
> No idea. You can try a NetBSD-current (HEAD) build from
> and see if things work better there
> if nothing shows up in dmesg output.

OK, I'll try that next.