Subject: Re: which port to install (amd opteron dual core)
To: Quentin Garnier <cube@cubidou.net>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: port-amd64
Date: 07/20/2006 11:01:32
On Thu, Jul 20, 2006 at 06:53:22AM +0200, Quentin Garnier wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 20, 2006 at 03:33:04AM +0200, Zafer Aydogan wrote:
> > Memory Hole.
>
> But what for?  Graphic adapter memory?  I want to know the technical
> reason, not the fact.

It's for the PCI bus memory mapping. This has to be mapped in physical address
space, and for i386 compatibility the chipset maps it in the top of the
first 4GB, and the corresponding RAM is mapped above 4GB (if the chipset
supports it - some chipsets claims 4GB ram support, but ommit to says that
it can map only 4GB minus PCI hole).

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>