Subject: Re: X2 Motherboard and PCI-E 16x video support
To: None <paul@whooppee.com>
From: Anders Lindgren <ali@df.lth.se>
List: port-amd64
Date: 07/12/2006 13:41:51
On Sun, 2 Jul 2006 paul@whooppee.com wrote:

> And what PCI-E 16x video cards are known to be working?
> Especially with X?

While an ACPI kernel seems to die hard on disk io rather quickly, I have
so far been successful with the following setup:

Hardware:

  o ASUS A8N32 SLI Deluxe motherboard, with nForce4 SLI x16 chipset.
  o AMD64 X2 4400+ S939 cpu.
  o 2x1024MB Kingston DDR400.
  o 3x300GB SATA2 disks.
  o ASUS EN6600GT graphics board.
  o Various peripherals (card reader, USB dongle, wireless USB mouse etc).

Software:

  o 3.0 release, with whatever XFree comes with that.
  o 3.99.21 GENERIC.MP kernel

Works just fine as far as I can tell. Built all of GNOME without problems,
but haven't otherwise put the box under serious load (a guy called larsd
has patches to make pkgsrc make -j friendly using pkg_comp, but they have
never been accepted afaik).

ACPI kernel won't work afaik, but plain 3.99.21 GENERIC.MP appears to work
fine. ISTR 3.0 GENERIC.MP works fine too, but it doesn't support nfe
ethernet.

Only problem I had was with the USB card reader not quite liking MMC under
NetBSD (scsi error and then deadlock on IO/umount).

Regards,
ali