Subject: upgrading x64 ... and SATA
To: None <port-amd64@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Kantarjiev <cak+gmane@dimebank.com>
List: port-amd64
Date: 05/06/2006 10:16:15
I have an quad-processor amd64 (12GB RAM) system happily running on a kernel
that announces itself as 2.0.2_STABLE. I'd like to add a (multilane) PCI SATA
controller to this (recommendations welcome - I don't care if it emulates an IDE
interface, as long as it works).

The machine is very stable at what it's currently doing.

I'm concerned that I will have to upgrade the kernel to support the PCI card and
the intended new work (mysqld), and have no idea how to do an upgrade in place.

Is there a FAQ/howto somewhere? What's the best stable kernel at the moment?

Thanks,
chris