Subject: Re: Experiences with Asus A8N-VM CSM?
To: Gary Duzan <gary@duzan.org>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
List: port-amd64
Date: 04/29/2006 12:41:28
Gary Duzan said:

>   I recall this motherboard being mentioned here before, but that
>was before it had been evaluated. Does it work ok for i386? For
>amd64? Which built-in hardware is working?

This board sounds amazingly like the Gigabyte GA-K8N51GMF-9 that I bought.
I installed NetBSD/amd64 3.0 and then upgraded to -current. Sound, network,
and graphics didn't work. The Gigabyte board had two PCI slots as well as
2 PCI-Express slots. I stuck in a PCI video and network card. I now have
Solaris 10 loaded on that machine with video and network card, as it doesn't
grok the nforce4 peripherals either.

I am now sitting in front of an ASUS A8V which has a VIA chipset, and lots of
PCI slots. I have a Athlon 64 X2 4200+, which is running NetBSD/386 3.0.

I have bought another A8V, which will be running NetBSD/amd64. And I plan to
buy a third one, since they just work.
--
Rick Kelly	rmk@rmkhome.com
		<http://www.rmkhome.com/>