Subject: booting from CD (alone and with i386)?
To: None <port-amd64@NetBSD.org>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
List: port-amd64
Date: 04/04/2006 12:26:16
I wonder what the status is to get amd64 to boot from CD without floppy
emulation, both alone and in dual-boot with NetBSD/i386.

NetBSD/i386 has a working bootxx_cd9660 (see the installboot.8 manpage for
a usage example), but that cannot load an amd64 kernel:

 	> boot netbsd64
 	booting cd0a:netbsd64
 	boot: cd0a:netbsd64: Inappropriate file type of format

In that regard it's as good as grub (which doesn't work either).
Is there any chance to get this going on the amd64 port?

Being able to boot both an i386 and an amd64 kernel would be nice.
Im not sure what the implications for /boot are in that regard, but at the
very least adding (working...) support for running 'ls' from the
bootloader on an ISO9660 filesystem would be nice. (There used to be a
patch somewhere for that, but I didn't get that to work...)

  - Hubert