Subject: Re: amd64 box on the way
To: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@netbsd.org>
From: None <murray@river-styx.org>
List: port-amd64
Date: 02/22/2006 12:02:53
> On Tue, Feb 21, 2006 at 12:35:56PM +1100, murray@river-styx.org wrote:
>> I have noticed that the wdc drivers seems to
>> have some support for SATA II. I am eager to get this going, but I
>> would not describe my skills here as 'in the know'.
>>
>>    Looking forward to seeing SATA II working....
>
> SATA II, if we're talking about Serial ATAv2, does not need any special
> support to work. If SATA works, it'll work. If you want to take advantage
> of native command queueing, then extra work is needed, but that doesn't
> prevent anything else from working.
>
> - Frank

G'day Frank,
    Firstly, big fan of your work, much appreciated over the years.

    When I try and use my ATAv2 (3.0 Gb/s) stuff it certainly has heaps of
trouble. Lots of lost interrupt issues. Can't give you any details at
the moment as I am nowhere near the box. Unfortunately the box has no
ATAv1 so I can't tell you if that works or not. The board is a
Gigabyte GA-K8N-SLI. Any help appreciated. Happy to test code on
current.
    I also have no working onboard NIC, but I don't care too much about
that at this time.

Take care,
    Murray Armfield