Subject: Re: netboot hangs at nfs_boot
To: None <port-amd64@netbsd.org>
From: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netmeister.org>
List: port-amd64
Date: 02/21/2006 17:21:05
--LyciRD1jyfeSSjG0

Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netmeister.org> wrote:
=20
> I have this rather annoying problem where am64 machines can't netboot,
> hanging after pxeboot(8)ing when trying to mount the NFS root.
>=20
> I have a bunch of diskless i386 clients that netboot off a central
> server via pxeboot(8), then find their NFS root and work just fine.  I
> recently added a few amd64 machines to this, but they do not want to
> boot.

[...]
=20
> After successfully getting the network configuration and starting to
> boot the kernel, it hangs when trying to mount the NFS root:
>=20
> nfs_boot: trying DHCP/BOOTP
> nfs_boot: timeout...
> nfs_boot: timeout...
> nfs_boot: timeout...

Alright, so I've tracked this down to be a problem in my
networking/switch configuration.  I've sent a separate message to
tech-net in case anybody wants to follow this.

When connecting the machine directly to the switch that the nfs server
is connected to, it does netboot fine, so it's not a NetBSD issue.  It
seems, I ``just'' gotta get the dhcp/bootp forwarding between two
switches right.

Anyway, thanks for all who offered help.

-Jan

--=20
``I still fail to understand why I should have been expected to waste
twenty-five years of my life following the progress of a beeping trash
can and a gay, gold-plated Jeeves.'' -- Anthony Lane on Star Wars III

--LyciRD1jyfeSSjG0

--LyciRD1jyfeSSjG0--