Subject: Re: fresh install hangs
To: None <port-amd64@netbsd.org>
From: Martijn van Buul <pino@dohd.org>
List: port-amd64
Date: 01/18/2006 00:23:56
It occurred to me that Francisco Valladolid Hdez. wrote in
gmane.os.netbsd.ports.x86-64:
> According to AMD it cpu not yet support amd64.
>
> http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_739_11683,00.html

Then, as unlikely as it may sound, AMD is badly informed. Sempron processors
(Using socket 754) with 64 bit support are available from every street corner;
references on the 'net are plentiful.

Not that wikipedia is a reliable source of information (But, apperently,
either is amd.com..), but:

" In the second half of 2005, AMD began shipments of the Sempron/64, which
  finally adds AMD64 support to the Socket754 Semprons. The Sempron/64 replaces
  the older non-AMD64 Sempron in AMD's Sempron product-line."

Also, see http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/201

 --
    Martijn van Buul - pino@dohd.org - http://www.stack.nl/~martijnb/
	 Geek code: G--  - Visit OuterSpace: mud.stack.nl 3333