Subject: 7GB memtest causes hard system hang.
To: None <>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <>
List: port-amd64
Date: 01/12/2006 23:42:31
dual-single core Opteron -- so, two cores total -- with a 3.0 GENERIC.MP
kernel.  Because of the memorylocked issue, to run a 7GB memtest I have
to configure a few hundred megabytes of swap.

A 4GB memtest runs fine; so does 5; I didn't try 6.

However, a 7GB memtest gives a quick and irretrievable system hang.  The
system appears unable even to drop to DDB.

I'm really not even sure how to start debugging this.

  Thor Lancelot Simon

  "We cannot usually in social life pursue a single value or a single moral
   aim, untroubled by the need to compromise with others."      - H.L.A. Hart