Subject: Re: nforce4 success
To: Jonathan A. Kollasch <jakllsch@kollasch.net>
From: Jonathan A. Kollasch <jakllsch@kollasch.net>
List: port-amd64
Date: 01/04/2006 14:43:30
--vKcNkqnJHUUp475E

On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 02:53:34PM -0600, Jonathan A. Kollasch wrote:
> Hi,
> 	I finally got this dreaded box running.  All I had to do was
> disable the unused SATA and PATA controllers.  Also, running a 3.99.15
> GENERIC.MP kernel causes horrible disk performance. In MP mode
> top shows near 100% interrupt time on one processor.  A UP kernel
> works fine.  I'll soon try an ACPI MP kernel to see if that helps.

Well, this is proving difficult.  When ever I put a minor load on the
machine (in this case make depend on my GENERIC_ACPI.MP kernel)
it hangs pretty hard.  This is with a -current GENERIC_ACPI kernel.
When it's hung sometimes num lock still elicits a response, then not.
Does this sound like some sort of race condition?

I found I can re-enable the unused disk controllers with the ACPI
kernel.  Is there a reason the GENERIC kernels don't have ACPI?

	Jonathan Kollasch

--vKcNkqnJHUUp475E

--vKcNkqnJHUUp475E--