Subject: problems with nvidia chipset
To: None <port-amd64@netbsd.org>
From: Emmanuel Dreyfus <manu@netbsd.org>
List: port-amd64
Date: 12/30/2005 00:32:33
Hello

It seems I made the mistake of purchasing a too recent motherboard, I
have various problems with running NetBSD on it.

It's an Asus A8N-VM CSM, with an athlon64 CPU. It features an NVidia
chipset. The northbridge is a GeForce 6150 GPU. The southbridge is
NVidia nForce 430 MCP and it handles PATA and SATA buses, gigabit LAN
and so on.

NetBSD/amd64 will not boot on it (neither 3.0 nor current). The system
reboots after detecting the ohci device.
If I disable ohci, it will reboot when trying to attach wskbd at ukbd.
If I disable ukbd, the system will crash when detecting the SATA hard
disk. I get this message:
wd0 at atabus1fatal double fault in supervisor mode
trap type 13 code 0 rip ffffffff8010198e cs 8 rflags cr2
ffff80000b3e6f88 cpl 0 rsp ffff80000f3e6f90

If I disable the hard disk (or unplug it), the system will boot to
multiuser, but the network interface is not supported.

It's probably interesting to note that the system will boot without any
trouble with an i386 kernel. When booting in i386 mode, I still don"t
have a network interface, but I have the SATA disk working. The disk
performance is very weak, though. systat vm shows that when doing a dd
of the disk raw device, the machine spends 100% of its time handling
interrupts.

My goal is of course to fix all of this, but I need help to get at least
the system booting with an amd64 kernel. What could be wrong here?

--
Emmanuel Dreyfus
manu@netbsd.org