Subject: APIC and SATA and release candidates (was: Re: Any experience with MSI nforce motherboards?)
To: None <port-amd64@netbsd.org>
From: Dieter <netbsd@sopwith.solgatos.com>
List: port-amd64
Date: 09/21/2005 11:37:52
> I built 3.0_BETA for amd64 again sometime early september, and tried to
> install it on my amd64 3500+ on an MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum motherboard,
> which features an nVIDIA nForce4 Ultra chipset.
>
> Following quirks arose:
>
>   o   IOAPIC needs to be disabled in BIOS, or GENERIC/INSTALL will just
>     stall on SATA accesses with "lost interrupt" messages. Disabling
>     IOAPIC in BIOS was enough to make SATA work

What kind of SATA throughput do you get with APIC turned off?
I had to turn off APIC in firmware with 2.0.2 on a Tyan nforce4 ultra board
to be able to talk to SATA at all, but even then I only got about 10 MB/s.
With -current I don't need to turn off APIC in firmware, and I get up
to 68 MB/s (limited by the disk).

So it sounds like whatever fixes this APIC problem in -current hasn't
made it into any of the release candidates?  :-(

Is there anything newer than the release candidates but less bleeding edge
than -current?