Subject: do you have Xorg running
To: NetBSD, port-amd64 <port-amd64@netbsd.org>
From: Robert Cates <robert@kormar.net>
List: port-amd64
Date: 09/16/2005 14:47:54
Hi,

if you have Xorg running with an ATI card, or IGP, I sure could use your
help.

I have a Shuttle ST20G5 which has an ATI Radeon X200 IGP, and I've installed
NetBSD/amd64 2.0.2 on it.  I could not get XFree86 4.4.0 to run, so I
installed Xorg 6.8.2 in part because I understand that Xorg has better/newer
support for ATI/nVidia.  Anyway, Xorg starts, but dies right away without
any real/clear error.  A second or two after starting it switches me to
another virtual terminal with a completely black screen and the cursor at
top-left, and when I switch back, I see that the server stopped with this
message:

(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/XF86Config
/usr/pkg/xorg/lib/modules/fonts/libfreetype.so: Undefined PLT symbol
"LoadFont" (symnum = 76)
X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).

I sure would appreciate some help in getting this problem solved.
Did it not compile properly?
Should I get away from the ATI IGP?
If so, can you recommend a good PCI-e graphics card that will work?
Is it normal for the server to switch me over to another virtual terminal?

I have:	Driver="ati"
		VendorName="ATI Technologies Inc"
		ChipSet=""
		BusID=1:5:0