Subject: Benefits of AMD64 arch when running NetBSD/i386.
To: NetBSD/amd64 <port-amd64@netbsd.org>
From: Joel CARNAT <joel@carnat.net>
List: port-amd64
Date: 07/29/2005 11:59:00
Hi,

for private reasons (nvtv support in fact ;) I'm running NetBSD/i386 on
my Shuttle SN85G4v3. I've just tested WinXP-64 on it and have issues
(which we don't care here ;) too.

I read that even Solaris runs apps in 32bit-mode (firefox) on sparc64.
This makes me believe, firefox is not written 64bits in mind.
So, even if I compile/run firefox (from pkgsrc) on NetBSD/amd64, I
guess it's not using all the benefits of amd64 specifics arch, true ?

My question is, when you have to run NetBSD/i386 on an AMD64 machine
(for driver or app support), to what extend do you get the benefits
from the AMD64 architecture ?

I read AMD64 was cool for 3D rendering - but what if you compile, let's
say povray, and it's code was not made with 64bits in mind... Do you
really get speed gain ?

TIA,
	Jo