Subject: Re: I'm disapointed with the AMD64 port, and NetBSD in general...
To: None <port-amd64@netbsd.org>
From: Wolfgang S. Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus20050727@dailyplanet.dontspam.wsrcc.com>
List: port-amd64
Date: 07/27/2005 22:32:23
Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org> writes:
> Re. comparing to other operating systems: It has long been the case that
> some things are available for other systems first...and some things have
> been available for NetBSD first.  ...

What is interesting is that now that I invested the time see how
openbsd and redhat-fedora work, I can say very little of any
importance to me is different between the distributions.

The only things I wish netbsd had are 1) pf (the ipf replacement) and
2) powernow-k8.  The former openbsd feature makes it a lot easier to
write blocking rules that send the right kind of reject
(ip-host-unreachable, udp-port-unreachable , tcp-restart).  Because of
the hash table variable one can also block large numbers of hosts or
nets with little runtime cost.  I use that for blocking spammers and
ssh-attacking wankers without allowing them to waste much bandwidth by
talking to my smtp or ssh server server and letting them get into a
long-winded conversation.  The linux powernow k8 feature is also
pretty nice in that it saves ~50 watts when the cpu is just sitting
there not doing much.  Now that summer is upon us that helps keep this
room quite a bit cooler.

-wolfgang
      Microsoft Vista - because "Virus Installer" was too long.