Subject: Re: Switching i386/amd64 to native CD-based installation?
To: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@netbsd.org>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: port-amd64
Date: 06/27/2005 21:15:57
Frank van der Linden <fvdl@netbsd.org> writes:
> CD-booting code should definitely be in the tree, and eventually the
> default.
>
> However, like Hubert already pointed out, we do not yet have a native
> ISO image creation program in the tree, so it can't be made the
> default yet.
>
> However, if you have work that you can commit, go for it!

I think the big current issue is not "do we replace floppy installs
with CD installs" but rather "do we replace the way that CD installs
work". We have no iso image creator now, so it will make no difference
if CD installs switch from El Torrito.

We can then get rid of the limitations on the floppy installs (like
limiting them to two floppies instead of three or more) that are based
on trying to avoid breaking El Torrito for the CDs.

Perry