Subject: Re: Adding cd9660 support to the i386/amd64 BIOS bootloader
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org>
From: Bang Jun-Young <junyoung@NetBSD.org>
List: port-amd64
Date: 06/22/2005 02:40:38
Jason Thorpe wrote:

> On Jun 21, 2005, at 8:26 AM, Bang Jun-Young wrote:
>
> > Even if it is, we still have nothing to lose, because there's no
> > platform
> > that have cd9660 support in their bootloaders. When it becomes a real
> > problem, we can easily fix it.
>
> You are gravely mistaken:

Aargh, I misthought there were no cd9660-capable bootloaders in the tree
from http://www.netbsd.org/contrib/projects.html#bootloader :

"Create a BSD-licensed bootloader for CDROM/DVDs that does not use the
 El Torito boot extension, for integration into NetBSD and creation of
 bootable Live- and Install-CDs. This could happen in cooperation with
 the g4u Open Source project."

What he (Martin?) is explaining above is not clear to me if there are
already "BSD-licensed bootloaders for CDROM/DVDs that do not use the El
Torito boot extension" available for many other platforms than i386/amd64.
Does he just tell about i386/amd64 one?

> These bootloaders have worked for years.  Sounds to me like you need
> to figure out some other way to fix the problem on i386.

I'll look into the sources.

Jun-Young