Subject: VIA VT8237 SATA & NetBSD -- 'lost interrupt'
To: None <port-amd64@netbsd.org>
From: None <msmith@edtech.mcc.edu>
List: port-amd64
Date: 05/24/2005 00:33:36
Hi, I am having a problem installing NetBSD/amd64 2.0 on my system. I have
an AMD Athlon 64 3200+ processor, an MSI K8TM-ILSR motherboard, and a WD
Raptor 36GB SATA disk. I boot the install system, and as the kernel
message go by, I see an error right after detecting the hard drive (it
also hangs at this point for a second). After the kernel is done loading,
I hit ‘enter’ for English, ‘enter’ to install NetBSD to disk, and yes to
continue at which point it hangs for a few seconds, I then get the
following messages which are the ones similar to when the system was
booting up…

viaide0:0:0: lost interrupt

type: ata tc_bcount: 512 tc_skip: 0

viaide0:0:0: lost interrupt

type: ata tc_bcount: 512 tc_skip: 0

viaide0:0:0: lost interrupt

type: ata tc_bcount: 512 tc_skip: 0

viaide0:0:0: lost interrupt

type: ata tc_bcount: 0 tc_skip: 0

When I get to the 'disk setup' section of the install program, I get a lot
of those messages (similar to above) and its really slow to advance to the
next step. It seems to start creating the filesystems, but it is VERY
slow... I left it over night just for the hell of it, and it barely got
anywhere! =)
This particular board is using the VIA VT8237 chip. I have Google’d around
on the mailing list archives and the ‘net a little bit, and I have seen
other posts saying to add "options ACPI_PCI_FIXUP" to my kernel config and
recompile.

I have a NetBSD/i386 2.0 system installed currently; I did a 'cvs checkout
-rnetbsd-2-0 -P src' to get the full source tree.
Next, I ran './build.sh -m amd64 tools' to get my cross-compiler tools,
and then added 'options ACPI_PCI_FIXUP' to both GENERIC and INSTALL kernel
config files in /usr/src/sys/arch/amd64/.
Next, I did './build.sh -u -m amd64 release' and imaged 2 floppies with
the images in /usr/src/releasedir/.
I still get the exact same errors as mentioned above when booting from
these new floppies.

Thanks for any help/ideas!

Marc