Subject: Re: bringing up Broadcom 5703 (bge0) causes GPF and crash on 4-way
To: Jeff Johnson <jeff.johnson@wsm.com>
From: Johnny Lam <jlam@NetBSD.org>
List: port-amd64
Date: 04/22/2005 14:40:29
Jeff Johnson wrote:
> Greetings,
>
>    I have installed NetBSD 2.0.2/amd64 port on to a Newisys 4300 (4 way
> Opteron 848). I have run into a problem where bringing up bge0 will
> cause a GPF and crash the system. I am able to being up bge1 without any
> errors or GPF. Both bge0 and bge1 are Broadcom 5703 controllers. I tried
> several media options from auto to hard setting 100baseT, 1000baseT,
> full and half duplex, etc. Anytime bge0 is brought up the system augers
> in. I am running netbsd.GENERIC.MP kernel that comes with the 2.0.2
> release.

I had a similar problem on a Tyan motherboard where "ifconfig bge0"
would cause the kernel to drop into DDB, while "ifconfig bge1" worked
just fine.  I worked around the problem by marking the PCI IRQ used by
bge0 as "not available" in the BIOS, which forced bge0 to use a
different PCI IRQ, and I've been using my machine quite happily ever
since.  It's not a fix, but it things working.

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@NetBSD.org>