Subject: Re: bringing up Broadcom 5703 (bge0) causes GPF and crash on 4-way Opteron
To: Jeff Johnson <jeff.johnson@wsm.com>
From: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-amd64
Date: 04/22/2005 00:05:39
Jeff Johnson <jeff.johnson@wsm.com> writes:

>     I have installed NetBSD 2.0.2/amd64 port on to a Newisys 4300 (4
> way Opteron 848). I have run into a problem where bringing up bge0
> will cause a GPF and crash the system. I am able to being up bge1
> without any errors or GPF. Both bge0 and bge1 are Broadcom 5703
> controllers. I tried several media options from auto to hard setting
> 100baseT, 1000baseT, full and half duplex, etc. Anytime bge0 is
> brought up the system augers in. I am running netbsd.GENERIC.MP kernel
> that comes with the 2.0.2 release.
>
>     I saw a similar bug report in a search. Has this been fixed yet?
> If not I can provide access to the system (via ssh) if any developers
> wish to take a look under the hood.

I experienced a similar problem on a system with a 3ware RAID
controller, driven by twe(4). I noticed that the problem only occurred
when the twe card was in the first PCI slot; if it was out, or if it
was in another slot, everything worked fine. I haven't had a chance to
dig much deeper than that, but that and the location of the crash
makes me suspect a problem around the apic programming and dispatch.

        - Nathan