Subject: Re: bringing up Broadcom 5703 (bge0) causes GPF and crash on 4-way
To: None <port-amd64@netbsd.org>
From: Jeff Johnson <jeff@wsm.com>
List: port-amd64
Date: 04/21/2005 23:10:08
On Thu, 21 Apr 2005, Andy Ruhl wrote:

> On 4/21/05, Jeff Johnson <jeff.johnson@wsm.com> wrote:
> > Nathan J. Williams wrote:

> > >I experienced a similar problem on a system with a 3ware RAID
> > >controller, driven by twe(4). I noticed that the problem only occurred
> > >when the twe card was in the first PCI slot; if it was out, or if it
> > >was in another slot, everything worked fine. I haven't had a chance to
> > >dig much deeper than that, but that and the location of the crash
> > >makes me suspect a problem around the apic programming and dispatch.
> > >
> > >        - Nathan
> > >

> > I hope it does not depend on PCI slot placement as these controllers are
> > onboard devices. I guess I could use a dremel tool to move them but I
> > bet they would really not work then.
>
> Or maybe you can remove or change configuration in the bios?
>
> Andy

I looked into that. I can disable the ports in the bios but I am not able
to move them or change their position in the pci tree. I find it
interesting that bge0 will cause a GPF/crash but bge1 functions perfectly.
They look identical by comparison. The only difference would be their pci
addresses and the ordering in which they appear to the kernel. It would be
interesting if I could somehow reverse their order so the controller/phy
that is now bge1 was seen as bge0 by the kernel and vice-versa. That way
being able to see the GPF/crash follow the physical chip or the ordinal
position.

-Jeff