Subject: Re: ISA bus configuration
To: None <port-amd64@NetBSD.org>
From: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.de>
List: port-amd64
Date: 04/09/2005 20:53:34
In article <mtud5t3vllv.fsf@contents-vnder-pressvre.mit.edu>,
	"Nathan J. Williams" <nathanw@wasabisystems.com> writes:
> What I think would be genuine forward progress would be to use ACPI ...

I agree that ACPI is the better way to do that. But from reading various
articles about getting Linux to run on notebooks it seems that there
are still a lot of BIOS implementations with buggy ACPI support. So
being able to run a non-ACPI kernel on such a system is a big advantage.

> ... to attach the remaining legacy devices and punt the ISA infrastructure
> entirely.

There are still systems with real ISA buses e.g. P4 motherboards with
a few ISA slots(*). While it is probably ok not to support them in the
default kernels it would be good to allow ISA if somebody needs it.

	Kind regards

(*) http://www.ibase-i.com.tw/mb800.htm

--
Matthias Scheler                                  http://scheler.de/~matthias/