Subject: Re: CD-booting [was: Re: ISA bus configuration]
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@netbsd.org>
List: port-amd64
Date: 04/09/2005 22:25:02
On Sat, Apr 09, 2005 at 09:57:46PM +0200, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> Do  you happen to know how far off that different booting method is?
> Might be useful to for live CDs too, to have a loader that can boot from
> CDs directly, with cloop etc. around the corner, and IIRC someone already
> posted something about that working some time ago...

There are basically three methods:

The solutions to this are:

        * Use El Torito harddisk image booting. This means creating
          ISO filesystems during a build, and making fdisk a host tool.
        * Use El Torito "no emulation" booting. This means creating
          ISO filesystems during a build, making fdisk a host tool,
          and adapting the bootloader to know about 2048-byte sectors
          and cd9660.
        * Continue to use the 2.88M emulation, but get rid of the
          harddisk image, and use root on cd9660 instead. This means
          creating ISO filesystems during a build.

The 3rd method is the easiest, and will get rid of the overflow problem
for a while. During that period, the 2nd method can be implemented,
since I believe that is the best one in the long run.

So, we need a tool in our base system that creates ISO cd9660 filesystems.
It looks like some code to make makefs(8) do this will be available
in May. I've been advised not to import cdrtools; it's hard to integrate.

- Frank