Subject: Re: CD-booting [was: Re: ISA bus configuration]
To: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@netbsd.org>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
List: port-amd64
Date: 04/09/2005 22:31:07
On Sat, 9 Apr 2005, Frank van der Linden wrote:
> So, we need a tool in our base system that creates ISO cd9660 filesystems.
> It looks like some code to make makefs(8) do this will be available
> in May. I've been advised not to import cdrtools; it's hard to integrate.

This is good news (the "May" part).

I think with the "compressed" vnd patch and the "cloop" userland
counterpart that Florian Stoehr is writing, this may be interesting.

Then again, having some bootloader that knows about cd9660 would mean we
can boot different kernels, which would be nice too, and I thought someone
posted about that a few weeks (months?) ago, but I don't remember.
I think using a kernel (with no ramdisk) and "root on cd" makes sense.

  - Hubert

--
NetBSD - Free AND Open!      (And of course secure, portable, yadda yadda)