Subject: Re: Interrupt problems on Iwill DK8N: nForce3 250 + AMD 8131
To: None <cedwards@ripples.dyndns.org>
From: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@netbsd.org>
List: port-amd64
Date: 03/23/2005 17:27:13
On Wed, Mar 23, 2005 at 09:41:22PM +1200, cedwards@ripples.dyndns.org wrote:
> Thanks for the quick reply!  I have compiled a new kernel (just uniprocessor
> for
> the moment) with the suggested options and attached the dmesg output.  It looks
> like the kernel isn't able to figure out the PCI-X and PCI-64 buses on the AMD
> 8131 at all ("failed to derive bus number").  IIRC there should be a second
> root PCI bus there as well.  It also seems weird that all the interrupts are
> mapping to isa0.  Is my motherboard firmware simply broken?  Is there anything
> I can do if it is?
>
> BTW, if I enable MPACPI in the kernel options, should I also turn off MPBIOS?
> Similarly, are MPACPI_SCANPCI and MPBIOS_SCANPCI mutually exclusive?

Hmm.. obviously it does need some extra tweaking somewhere (since Windows
does get it right), but I'm not sure where that is. It seems that the
BIOS possibly doesn't initialize some PCI bridge registers. Also,
MP*_SCANPCI are designed to find extra root buses, and those options
do normally work.

What might be needed is a complete PCI tree hierarchy setup via ACPI,
which would include programming the bus numbers somehow.. But the
code is currently not up to that.

- Frank