Subject: Re: compat netbsd32 broken on -current amd64 ?
To: Nicolas Joly <njoly@pasteur.fr>
From: Paulo Alexandre Pinto Pires <p@ppires.org>
List: port-amd64
Date: 03/22/2005 18:21:41
On Tue, Mar 22, 2005 at 11:25:22AM +0100, Nicolas Joly wrote:

> njoly@lanfeust [emul/netbsd32]> file hello
> hello: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), for NetBSD 2.0D, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped
> njoly@lanfeust [emul/netbsd32]> ./hello
> zsh: abort      ./hello
> njoly@lanfeust [emul/netbsd32]> ktruss ./hello
>  19308 ktruss   emul(netbsd)
>  19308 ktruss   fcntl(0x4, 0x3, 0)                 = 1
>  19308 ktruss   fcntl(0x4, 0x4, 0x1)               = 0
>
> I checked 1.6.2 and 2.99.x binaries, with the same results.
>
> Anyone else seeing this ?

I had similar problems.  Besides having 32-bit binaries always abort,
ktruss failed to identify the process, and print 'ld.elf_so', even
for statically-linked binaries.

Another symptom I had, clearly triggered by attempting to run 32-bit
binaries, was that some symlinks stopped working, especially those
pointing to amd-mounted users' home directories (symlink in /home)
and 32-bit pkg binaries.  Even removing /home and attempting to
recreate it produced wierd results: the system created the link, but
it pointed to itself, even though I clearly wrote
'ln -fs /amd/servername/home /home'.

It would be good if, besides NetBSD 32-bit binaries, Linux/i386 emu-
lation would also work. :)

--
	Pappires

... Qui habet aurem audiat quid Spiritus dicat ecclesiis.