Subject: Re: Audacity crashes.
To: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: port-amd64
Date: 03/21/2005 21:33:41
On Mon, Mar 21, 2005 at 10:14:20PM +0100, Frank van der Linden wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 21, 2005 at 02:25:23AM -0600, Richard Rauch wrote:
> > I'm running with a fresh kernel, now, and the Audacity crashes *seem*
> > to have gone away.  Unfortunately, it's hard to be completely sure
> > of that, as the crash could not be reliably induced...  (Of course,
> > ipf is out of sync between userland and kernel, now, so I'll have
> > to upgrade userland.)
> >
> > Most of the files in /usr/bin date to Sept. 25.  Is a 6 month old kernel
> > old enough to have been "a long time" ago?
>
> In this case, it's likely that the date of your libm is more important.
> Some fixes went in last summer.

I should have libm (all userland) updates up to early fall
of last year.  For libm in particular:

$ ident /usr/lib/libm.* | awk '{print $4}' | sort -u

1999/07/02
2001/01/06
2002/02/27
2002/05/26
2002/12/05
2003/01/04
2003/07/26
2003/09/16
2004/06/25
2004/06/30
2004/07/10
2004/07/16
2004/07/22

I'm a little confused, though.  I replaced the kernel (same userland,
including libm and Audacity binary).  The problem seems to have
gone away.  Why doesn't that re-inforce the theory that it was a
kernel issue, rather than a libm issue?

Or did something get miscommunicated?

Thanks.