Subject: Increasing VM limits
To: None <port-amd64@netbsd.org>
From: Wolfgang Solfrank <ws@tools.de>
List: port-amd64
Date: 02/02/2005 16:33:15
Hi,

one of the reasons to run on amd64(-compatible) processors is the
possibility to use much larger address spaces.  However, our current
port doesn't support this ;-(.

AFAICT, the only reason for this is the brain-dead linker in the Xserver,
which insists on doing its own dynamic linking instead of using dlopen et.al.
Turns out that it's quite easy to work around this, by simply removing the
-DUseMMAP in src/x11/Xserver/hw/xfree86/loader/Makefile.  With this change,
I'm running the system quite happily with a 16 GB MAXDSIZ, albeit I'm
getting some strange "sbrk: grow ### failed, error = 12" message from
the kernel when mallocing beyond about 12 GB (not yet investigated,
probably will do so tonight).

Anyone objecting to removing this UseMMAP and upping MAXDSIZ to, say
8 GB for now?

Ciao,
Wolfgang
--