Subject: Re: GA-K8NS Motherboard
To: Rand Acs <firstname.lastname@example.org>
From: Richard Rauch <email@example.com>
Date: 01/26/2005 01:24:59
I have a K8N Pro, also based on the nVidia nForce3 chipset.
When I go to the web-page you indicate, it renders as garbage.
(Their site is not friendly to my web-browser.) So I am not sure
how my motherboard compares to yours. But some of the below
may be relavent.
The best thing to do would be to try something like a "Live!"
CD see what you can see.
* DMA support for the IDE has been present for a long time.
I assume that it's in current, since the support was
added close to a year ago. (In fact, it was present except
for a missing entry in a static data table.) At least, for *my*
system's IDE. At the time that it was turned on for my
chipset, it had only been non-functioning due to a trivial
* The on-board gigabit ethernet port should work. I don't
have any gigabit ethernet for it to talk to, and at the time
that I got the system, there was *no* support. It now
shows up in dmesg as:
re0 at pci1 dev 11 function 0: RealTek 8110S Single-chip Gigabit Ethernet
ukphy1 at re0 phy 7: Generic IEEE 802.3u media interface
ukphy1: OUI 0x00e04c, model 0x0011, rev. 0
ukphy1: 10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, 1000baseT, 1000baseT-FDX, auto
re0: interrupting at irq 5
Since I already had put another card in before this began showing up
meaningfully in dmesg, I've never used re0 much. (I think that I
tested it once for amusement...)
* Summary of biggest problem: IOAPIC does not work with these boards
and NetBSD. To get a usable system, I found it necessary to turn
IOAPIC off. It was suggested that turning on MPACPI would help.
With IOAPIC (on by default), devices would fail to configure or
would go away ("lost interrupt") while in use, as I recall.
I hope that that helps some.
"I probably don't know what I'm talking about." http://www.olib.org/~rkr/