Subject: Re: GA-K8NS Motherboard
To: Rand Acs <randacs@gmail.com>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillham@gmail.com>
List: port-amd64
Date: 01/25/2005 11:05:39
On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 13:39:41 +0200, Rand Acs <randacs@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This is my first post to the NetBSD mailing lists, so if there is
> something wrong please advise.

Your post looks fine to me.  Since you're on gmail.com I assume you
used google a bit to research this issue. :)

> You will note that this is a nForce3 chipset. I saw VIA support on
> NetBSD.org but not nForce3.
> Is that just not updated yet? Are there anyone that is running this
> board with NetBSD2.0
> successfully? If so is that LAN chip supported? I did not see it in
> the hardware section.

There is no network driver currently.  A developer is working on it,
but since this is a volunteer effort a date can't really be assigned..

Support for the IDE was just improved (e.g. DMA) in -current for the
nForce boards, so with an add-in PCI ethernet card you should be able
to use NetBSD on your system with decent performance.

I would recommend testing the NetBSD 2.0 amd64 ISO and exiting the
install to the shell and running 'dmesg | more' to look at what was
probed by the INSTALL kernel. (obviously GENERIC has a few more
drivers, but will give you a basic idea)

You have to page through a bunch of null stuff to get to the dmesg
output, or you can search  by typing something like /mainbus.

I don't believe there is a -current snapshot available since
releng.netbsd.org is off-line.

-Andrew