Subject: Re: GA-K8NS Motherboard
To: Rand Acs <randacs@gmail.com>
From: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
List: port-amd64
Date: 01/25/2005 08:42:12
On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 13:39:41 +0200, Rand Acs <randacs@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This is my first post to the NetBSD mailing lists, so if there is
> something wrong please advise.
>
> I want to convert my amd64 from FreeBSD to NetBSD. I've only heard
> good things. But I need
> to know if my hardware would run.
>
> I have a Gigabite GA-K8NS motherboard:
>
> http://tw.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Products/Products_Spec_GA-K8NS.htm
>
> You will note that this is a nForce3 chipset. I saw VIA support on
> NetBSD.org but not nForce3.
> Is that just not updated yet? Are there anyone that is running this
> board with NetBSD2.0
> successfully? If so is that LAN chip supported? I did not see it in
> the hardware section.

There were some posts not long ago about this subject. Sorry I'm not
of more help. I think the preference was toward the Via chipset, but I
think the nvidia one was working to some extent.

Depending on the network adapter, it may work. Mine is the built in
Via gigabit one, and it doesn't work under NetBSD. But it does under
FreeBSD. But then again, FreeBSD was crashing all the time :)

Can't say much more than to give it a try. If you have problems, maybe
this would be useful to the amd64 developers if you could post what
the problems were.

Andy